Alkyl Nitrites Treatment: Problems of Overuse
Alkyl nitrites are a group of chemical compounds including, amyl nitrite, isopropyl nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, butyl nitrite and cyclohexyl nitrite. These compounds are illegal to use or sell as inhalants in the United States, but are allowed as products for commercial use. Manufacturers circumvent the laws by marketing the nitrites as solvents, nail polish removers, video head cleaners and room deodorants.
Why Jungle Juice Abuse is Popular
They are popular for the head rush that users get when sniffing the vapors released from opened bottles. Repeated usage can lead to tolerance and health problems in users. Most commonly users experience an increased heart rate, dizziness, headaches or fainting. It is because of this feeling that is provided that this type of drug is often used in a variety of nightclub or rave scenes throughout the country.
Problems Caused By Alkyl nitrites Usage
Most users only inhale about 1 mL of Alkyl nitrites per dosage from bottles that contain anywhere from 5 mL to 30 mL of liquid. The liquid quickly evaporates once the bottle is opened, so users prefer smaller bottles. The head rush caused by inhaling Alkyl nitrites only lasts a few minutes, so heavy users will repeated inhale over the course of a night. This overuse of the drug has the potential to cause unconsciousness, coma and even death.
How the Alkyl Nitrate Effect Work
Nitrites force the heart to beat harder and faster to get oxygen rich blood to the brain. This increase in heart rate is not healthy, especially when the heart is asked to do this repeatedly throughout a session. The vasodilatation caused by nitrites also makes the blood pressure drop suddenly, which is why users will feel dizzy and sometimes faint.
Overuse of Alkyl Nitrate Addiction
Additionally, amyl nitrite competes in the blood for oxygen. Overuse can actually deprive the brain of oxygen and lead to brain damage. It affects the nervous system, in particular motor control. Abuse of these inhalants can result in limb spasms. Basically, Alkyl nitrites are toxic. Long-term use of these substances will permanently damage not only the brain and nervous system but also the heart, lungs, kidneys, and liver.
Signs of an Alkyl Nitrate Overdose
Alkyl nitrites users can overuse this substance. If friends or family notice any of the following symptoms in a user call an ambulance or take your loved one to the hospital immediately. These signs of overuse include,
- extreme pressure in the head
- shortness of breath
- blue tinting on skin and nails
- weak, rapid pulse
An overdose of Alkyl nitrites can result in asphyxiation or heart failure, so it’s important to be able to recognize the signs. When over usage of Alkyl nitrites threatens the health of a loved one, it can be a frightening experience. Knowledge is the best way to prepare for and hopefully prevent a trip to the hospital.
Overcoming Alkyl Nitrate Addiction
Before you or your loved one face the dangers of alkyl nitrate overdose it is important to seek the treatment assistance that can help overcome the urges to use this drug. Jungle Juice treatment is available in a number of behavioral therapy programs that are available on an in and out-patient basis for those suffering with addiction.